Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Talking in Code

Why do some businesses insists in using their internal code when they talk to the public? Recently I saw a commercial for the local electric utility saying that there were different types of CFL out their for my use. Since he was turning a lamp on and off, I figured he must be talking about light bulbs. So after wracking my brain, I decided that CFL must stand for Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb. A quick google search confirmed this.

Now I know what these bulbs are. We have several in our house and intend to buy more. But I never knew them by an acronym. I didn't just crawl out from under a rock and I am pretty aware of what's going on. If you mention that you just bought some new CFLs to your friends, how many will understand what you are referring to?

The St. Louis Metro (commuter train/bus system) spans both Missouri and Illinois. For some reason there are duplicate bus route numbers between the two state. There is a #1 route in Missouri and a #1 in Illinois. This confuses no one as they run nowhere near each other.

I am guessing that within Metro they account for the difference by making the Illinois routes 3-digit numbers starting with 5. So route 1 becomes 501, 12 becomes 512, etc. Nowhere, however, is this information communicated to the public (rightly so as it is not necessary). The timetables, signs at the bus stops, and sign on the buses say 1 or 12 or 16, not 501, 512, or 516.

So when the train operators announce their stops, do they insist on announcing that the particular stop services route 501, etc.? I understand that this is probably the "official" designation within Metro, but no one else understands it.

I doubt that the average person is actually confused by this (although I have seen some really stupid people on my commute), so maybe no harm is done. But why? Every passenger knows that 16 is the St. Clair bus. What possible purpose is served by the train operator calling it 516? Just another stupid business speaking internal code to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment