Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Most Interesting Country Album Ever

(Note: I am once again returning to blogging. I have actually discovered a couple of people were reading. This is not my deepest post, but it might be interesting to someone.)

How do you like that title? Well, hear me out. I am not a real country fan. Back in the day, I liked the late 60s-early 70s country rock of the Byrds, Flying Burrito Bros, Poco, and Eagles, but it didn't get me into the originals. I discovered bluegrass when the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band put out Will the Circle Be Unbroken.

At the same time, I detested Tammy Wynette-styled music and the Nashville Sound. Today, most pop-country offends my ears with its lack of authenticity or artistry.

That said, this album is a wonder. Hank Wilson's Back is the 1973 product of Leon Russell, an Oklahoma-raised turned L.A.-hippie musician. It actually received a bit of airplay on FM rock stations, who recognized its genius even though they didn't ordinarily play country music.

What is immediately obvious is Leon's love of this music. This is stone-cold country, made in an era when the record-buying public wasn't interested; he certainly didn't make it to be commercial. There are no dumb songs here; no D-i-v-o-r-c-e corniness. There are quite few standards, a few more-obscure (at least to me) but quality tunes.

Just about every country genre is covered, either by song or style. There is bluegrass, straight-ahead country, Nashville sound, honky-tonk, Texas swing, even a hippie-styled update of "Battle of New Orleans." The only thing missing is cajun music. Hank Williams, Jimmie Rodgers, Jimmy Driftwood, George Jones, and Ledbelly are among the songwriters covered.

If you have any interest in authentic quality country music, this album is certainly worth a listen. Tracks are available on You Tube and Grooveshark. If not, thanks for stopping by; perhaps I'll have something more interesting for you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment