Thursday, December 10, 2009

No One Said Tigers Were Smart

For the most part I don't care about Tiger Woods' sexual escapades. I feel bad for his wife and kids, but I never idolized the man. He is the greatest golfer I have ever watched play, but that's it.

I'm not particularly surprised that he has been unfaithful to his wife. Nothing that he has ever said or done has led me to believe that he had a particularly strong moral compass. He has a bad temper, cusses like a sailor, is overly competitive, and only seems interested in his own interests. It is about performance, not character.

I'm sure that some of the women who have claimed to slept with him are just seeking attention and could be lying. However, the count is up to at least 13. They're not all making it up. There is strong evidence that he had more than one long-term sexual relationship, many one-night-stands, and possibly encounters with prostitutes.

What interests me the most about Tiger is this: How did he think he would ever get away with this? I suppose there are people in his position who have managed to have some groupie sex on the road without their wife finding out. Perhaps it is even possible to have one mistress on the side if she is discreet. But Tiger threw all caution to the wind. In the day of TMZ and skanks looking to get on television, he should have known that this indiscriminate sleeping around was going to get out.

I can't decide if he was stupid or arrogant. Either way, Tiger is living proof of Jesus' warning: There is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known. What you have said in the dark will be heard in the daylight, and what you have whispered in the ear in the inner rooms will be proclaimed from the roofs. (Luke 12:2-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment