Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Too Soon

I received news that someone I knew died in a car accident. Her name was Summer and seh was (I think) only 29 years old.

I didn't know Summer well. She sang on a worship team that I belonged to for two years. She was still in college. She had impossibly long blonde hair and was quite pretty. She had a lot of personality and--though she was very smart--played a bit of the dumb blonde routine at times.

After I made contact with some old friends from Springfield, I noticed that she was on some of their friends lists. I did not add her as a friend, though. I am not in the habit of adding young, pretty girls whom I don't know well. Summer, however, must have seen my name pop up on one of the lists of our mutual friends and added me. I was touched at her desire to touch base with so many people.

When Tina was at Fashion Bug, it was her job to recruit women for a fashion show. The participants got discounts on clothes. Summer helped her every time. She would wear several outfits and go out as many times as they wanted her to. She had fun and made it fun for Tina.

It's not fair. When I say that, I don't mean to criticize God. We have no claim on this life. But in the randomness of this sin-infested world, a young girl who was teaching school dies before she can raise a family of her own, while many, many others who do so much less keep on living. Though I know God redeems death and turns it into eternal life, I can still be sad that she is not around and be angry at this world.

I know she rests in the arms of Jesus and is better off for not being here. God is good and will bring comfort to me and to those who knew her so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment