Monday, December 14, 2009

The Sarah Palin Phenomenon Part 3

Before I get to the subject about Sarah Palin's presidential chances, I wanted to first discuss whether I think she is qualified to be president. Simply put, I do not think she is. Here are my reasons why.

1. Her standard-issue conservatism. I am more politically conservative that the average voter, but less so than most of my Christian friends. The fact that she is extremely conservative does not disqualify her (though i may not support her positions). What disqualifies her in my mind is that I cannot distinguish that she is thinking at all. She knows how to repeat the standard conservative mantras, but without any depth. I want a president who shows the ability to think and be a little creative.

2. Her lack of political experience. Two years of governor of Alaska and a couple of terms as a small-town mayor is hardly an impressive resume. You don't have to like it, but a successful president needs to be able to work with other elected officials and the bureaucracy. Her tendency to fire people who disagree with her and her resignation in protest from the Alaska Oil and Gas Commission may indicate that she "does not play well with others." While some may view this as a good trait, I see the potential for government gridlock.

3. Her lack of leadership. Where are Palin's followers? I don't mean the people who eagerly line up to buy her book. I mean the people who have given themselves to a life of government service. As diverse individuals as Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton had loyal government-types who believed in his vision. I don't see that for Palin.

In short, Sarah Palin, despite her enthusiastic following among a relatively small percentage of the population, has not exhibited the traits that I think make her a good choice for the top office in this country.

When I next speak about Sarah Palin, I will finally list my reasons why she will not be elected.

No comments:

Post a Comment