Sunday, May 3, 2009

Form without Substance

One of my favorite musical artists is Lyle Lovett. He is a terrific songwriter, always puts together an incredible band, and just makes good music. His songwriting is inventive and quirky, some might even say a bit odd (imagine me liking something odd).

I have seen him play live twice in St. Louis on the banks of the Mississippi in the shadow of the Arch. Both shows were outstanding. Tina, who is not a fan, saw the 2006 concert with me and was blown away.

His 2004 appearance was supporting his 2003 album, "My Baby Don't Tolerate." This album closes with two gospel numbers and he closed the concert with them as well.

I do not know Lyle Lovett's heart or his relationship with God. He was raised Missouri-Synod Lutheran, but does not currently belong to that church. I am not being unfair to say that he has never made a statement that indicates a born-again experience. Some of the details of his life might also cause you doubt that he believes as evangelical Christians do.

But he does have an ear and a feel for gospel music or at least for black gospel. The two songs--"I'm Going to Wait" and "I'm Going to the Place"--are theologically sound. If a choir performed either one of these songs in your church next Sunday morning, you would be blessed by the music and the message.

But I remember being a little troubled by these two songs as I heard them live. It's not just that they were being sung by a guy who I wasn't sure what he believed about the message. Then it hit me. Both songs talk about heaven, God, my Father, my Savior. But there was no mention of Jesus.

You might think I am quibbling over some trivial point. I don't think so. Now each and every Christian song does not need to explicitly name the name of Jesus. But in the case of these two Lyle Lovett songs, I just felt as if the absence was telling. Salvation without sacrifice. God's love without a mediator. Heaven without a relationship with Jesus.

As Lyle wrapped up his show, this verse popped into my mind: "Holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power" (2 Tim 3:5). It just seemed to me that these songs held out a vague belief in a universal salvation, but never examined that it is only by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ upon the cross that buys that salvation. In our celebration of salvation, we must never forget how we get there.

Here is a Youtube clip of one of the songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56DJuP4DXU

No comments:

Post a Comment