Friday, May 8, 2009

This Just In....

General Francisco Franco was the dictatorial ruler of Spain from 1936 until his death in 1975. He took sick in 1974 and was in and out of the hospital. The last time he went into the hospital, the American national nightly news programs typically led of their newscasts with some report on the health of Franco. It was comical how there was never anything new to report, but they felt the need to do so anyway.

Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update parodied this intense focus after Franco's death. For several weeks Chevy Chase would open the faux-newscast with, "Tonight, General Francisco Franco is still dead."

I thought of this old comedy bit when I read this headline: "Favre tells Vikings He's Staying Retired." Enough, already!!! I don't want to read Brett Favre's name again unless he un-retires (actually I don't want to even read that) or when he goes into the football Hall of Fame. Until then, spare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment