Monday, May 25, 2009

War, peace, and soldiers

I am actually a bit conflicted by Memorial Day. By nature a pacifist, I am always uncomfortable with the idea of war. Though a pacifist, I am also a biblical realist; as long as the world is infected with sin, military force will be necessary to protect people.

I never served in the armed forces. I came of age just after the draft ended for Vietnam. I was glad to see that war ended and could not see myself in the military.

I supported Desert Storm in 1991, though it was hard to see what we accomplished in the end (except protect our gasoline).

I thought that taking out the terrorists in Afghanistan was necessary and proper, even if that meant removing their government. I never supported the war with Iraq as I thought our reasons were specious (and falsehoods as it later turned out).

So what do I think of soldiers, sailors and air personnel--past and present? I am glad for their existence and for their faithfulness to their job. I appreciate that I have the right to free speech to disapprove of the war because they are there to fight when necessary.

Many died in necessary wars; some in unecessary ones. It doesn't matter--they're all heroes. Thanks to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment