Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gibson vs. Fender

The first quality electric guitar that I have ever owned is the one that I bought this year: a Gibson Les Paul Premium Plus. When buying this guitar, it was my intention to buy a lifetime guitar. I do not have GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). My Martin J-40 is the only acoustic I need. The same is true with my Gibson SG bass.

The classic quality production-run solid-body electric guitars are the Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul, and Gibson SG. There are a lot of different models and price points within each style, but in general the price for the Gibsons run 30%-80% higher than comparable Fenders. So why did I insist that I was going for a Gibson rather than a Fender?

In a word, tone. I have to admit that the Fenders are a bit easier to play and there is no more classic body style than that of the Stratocaster. However, I so prefer the tone of the Gibson humbuckers that for me there is no comparison.

I was asked once what the difference is between them. Although you can make a lot of tonal changes with amplifiers and effects pedals, the single-coil Fender pickups are generally cleaner but thinner sounding. The tone of the Gibson pickups are generally thicker but grittier.

The best example is to compare the sound of Eric Clapton's guitars from his days with Cream to that of his work with Derek and the Dominoes onward. Think of the crunchy sound of "Sunshine of Your Love" and the thinner sound of "Layla."

Recently, however, I found an even better example. Eric Clapton and B.B. King did an album together a couple of years ago. As noted, Clapton has been using Stratocasters for years and King has always played a Gibson ES-335 with humbuckers. The video below is really an audio clip of the end of the song "Three O'Clock Blues." EC's guitar is in the left channel and B.B. is in the right. They are playing notes in the same range so it makes a valid comparison.

Some people will prefer the tone of the Strat, but it is that humbucker tone that is my preference. Hence my purchase of a Gibson Les Paul. I would be interested to hear what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment