Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's Not the Heat...

I used to love the heat. When I was much younger, I remember playing softball for hours under the warm southern California sun. When I lived in New Mexico, I had no trouble with the repeated 90-plus degree days that occupied my summer.


Then I moved to the Midwest and learned the meaning of hot. Low 90s coupled with stifling humidity is awful. The air should not feel solid like this. Walking outside from an air-conditioned building is like slamming into a wall. A hot one.

We live in a 100 year-old house. It has air conditioning, but with the antiquated duct-work it doesn't get upstairs where the bedrooms are. So we turn it off and open the windows. After six nights of sleeping poorly, I'm tired.

The 10-day forecast is for daytime temps in the 90s and nighttime in the 70s. I think we are going to have to set up the air mattress downstairs and sleep there.

No comments:

Post a Comment