Monday, June 15, 2009

To Boldly Go

When I first saw an ad for the new Star Trek movie, I thought, Why use the characters I already know with different actors? Just create new characters. But I heard good reviews and Tina wanted me to take her to Star Trek for her birthday, so we went.

I am not a movie critic. I'm sure there are problems with this movie that I didn't catch. But I don't care. This is an outstanding movie, one of the best I've seen in several years. The actors are true to the characters as we have always known them but, in some cases, fleshed out a little more and definitely more interesting.

The really clever touch (spoiler alert) was having Nero, the rogue Romulan from the future, alter the destinies that we know of the Star Trek characters. Now the movie producers are free to create new story arcs that are not dependent on anything that happened in the old TV or movie series. Because I promise you there will be more films with this cast. And I will be there to see them.

I don't follow Star Trek bulletin boards or bloggers, but I can imagine that this "alternative reality" part will bug them. No longer can they about how this movie misses some obscure point from an early TV episode. One of their reasons for living has been taken away!

Though I am a fan of the old TV and movie series, I have never been to a Star Trek convention nor do I own a uniform (but I've known some who do). The new movie is, in part, for us, the more casual fan. It may also appeal to many who were never fans of the original.

I agree with Roger Ebert's complaint that science and philosophy was replace with "loud and colorful action." However, I think that was necessary for the first film. Like him, I hope that future movies will downplay the action/adventure aspects a little and develop stories a little more.

I guess everyone who reads this blog (all five of you) has probably already seen this movie. But if not, give it a look. I think you'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment