Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Movie I Can Enjoy

When talking about Star Trek yesterday, I mentioned that I am not a movie critic. I am just not interested enough in movies to really study them (but if you want to talk about music...). I do, however, know when a movie has touched me or entertained me on multiple levels.

Tom Hanks has had a remarkable career, not only as an actor, but also as a writer, director, and producer; two Oscars for acting (plus three nominations); Emmys for writing, directing, and producing; and a bunch of Golden Globe nominations and wins. But my favorite Tom Hanks movie won him nothing: That Thing You Do.

This 1996 film about a fictional "one-hit-wonder" band from 1964 resonated with me on several levels. As a big follower of music, I got most of the small touches that others probably missed (no name for the bass player, the authenticity of the instruments and the actors' playing, the irony that so many in the music business don't understand music at all, the small scenes that mirror some real life event). And it was just fun. To follow these teen-agers (although because he was in the army, Guy must be a bit older than the rest) on a dizzying ride to the top of the pop charts is really enjoyable.

Though there are some mistakes and anachronisms in the movie (the IMDB page has a list), the movie is true to its era. The tour mixing has-been stars with new talent. The datedness of the jokes on the Hollywood Showcase. The clothing styles. The seedy side of the music business.

Knowing that Tom Hanks is behind every aspect of the movie--acting, directing, writing--and it seems clear to me that this movie is a labor of love for him. He wants the audience to like his characters (even Jimmy, who is often a jerk) and to like his story.

That Thing You Do is a fun movie, but even more so if you have an appreciation for the 60s era pop/rock bands. Tomorrow, I want to take a minute to talk about the music.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with ya man...I love that movie and will watch it every time it's on.

    ReplyDelete