Thursday, June 4, 2009

Two Weeks

Did you ever see the movie, The Money Pit, with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long? It was so-so with a few really funny scenes. They had one running gag that I will always remember. No matter how far away the house was from completion, when they asked the contractor how long it would be, the answer was always "two weeks."

That's where I am with my dissertation. When I am asked how long until I finish, I seem to always say, "Just another couple of weeks." Then a couple of weeks pass, and I am still not done.

Unlike the contractor in the movie, I really believe that it will only be a couple of weeks. So what happens? Lots of things. Something happens at home to make me miss a half-a-day of work. My adviser apparently leaves town for two weeks (I assume since I can't find him and he doesn't answer his e-mail). I distract myself with other things (really easy for me to do). Another reader does not get his comments to me when he says he would.

To be a summer graduate, everything needs to be done by the first week of August. It is already the first week of June. Two months can go by quickly. I hope it doesn't get away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment